It may not be winter but sometimes you just crave a good soup to fill you up. We absolutely love the Zuppa Toscana soup from a popular chain restaurant but can’t justify driving the 30 minutes to get there. Here is our version we hope you enjoy!
|Zuppa Toscana Soup and Homemade Bread Machine Rolls|
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage (you can substitute mild)
- 1 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 slices good quality bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 large onion, diced (optional, I have picky eaters)
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 5 (13.75 ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth (you can use regular)
- 6 potatoes (half sliced thin, other half sliced thick)
- 1 cup heavy cream (my container said heavy whipping cream)
- 4 stems of kale leaves (stems removed) or spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- White pepper blend Slap Ya Mamma to taste (optional but really enhances the flavors)
1. Cook the Italian sausage, bacon, onion, garlic and red pepper flakes to your large soup pot. Cook until sausage is crumbly and browned. This should take about 15 minutes over medium-high heat. Once complete, drain the mixture and place back into the pot.
2. Pour in the chicken broth and add the sliced potatoes. Here I add 1/2 of the kale. I love the flavor it adds to the soup once it cooks down. Add salt, pepper and Slap Ya Mamma to your liking. Boil the soup for about 30-40 minutes or your preference. (We let our soup simmer for 1 1/2 hours, the house smelled so good!)
3.Reduce the heat to medium and add the heavy cream and the remaining kale. Cook an additional 10 minutes on medium heat. You are then ready to serve with our bread roll recipe! Enjoy!
**Please leave a “like” on this recipe page if you like this recipe! Thank you!**